Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Underwhelming


Someone told my friend that going to Lake Como is a bit disappointing. Maybe they meant that there isn't a lot to do in Varenna, no bars or nightlife for college students. But I think that is the point of visiting this. One hour from Milan, on a cheap, local train, you can get a tour of the southern part of the lake, and see the Alps. Maybe the person who downplayed this is from Switzerland, or lives in the Alps. But it is pretty amazing.



Two Sundays ago I took this trip, sat on the left to appreciate the full splendor of the lake, walked from Varenna to Fiumelatte, the shortest river in Italy. In early Spring, it is a trickle. There is one bakery open, more like a doorway open into a worskshop with one kind of cookies, bread and two types of pizza. It was lovely. I sat on the water, walked slowly,and foolishly did not get on the ferry when I had the chance. It will bring you to a few different towns. It was a little cold, so in the early afternoon, I sat in the sun and waited for the train back to Milan.