Monday, May 21, 2012

Lazy Days

the baptistry at Pisa 

Here's a secret: I am an unambitious traveller right now. Ok, my ankle has been freaking out a little and I overpacked and that combination makes long walks unfun. So , I got to Pisa, sat in front of the tower and thought, yup, it leans. It is actually neat to see, so I sat in the grass in front of it, listening to Amps for Christ and not worrying about anything. Then came the grey cold weather that is not a part of summer in my head. My favorite place in in Pisa: the post office in Piazza Victor Emmanuel. Beautiful and helpful. And not very far from this Keith Haring mural that is in this city for reasons unknown to me.
e
Keith Haring was here

 My second day in Pisa I thought I would try out Lucca, the prettier sister to the north. Really I wanted to go back to the beach but since I was in Pisa...the rain has been following me like a gloomy omen. I try and not let it spoil my day which is how I walked in circles around Lucca, half limping, half in the rain. I know better than to complain. Because it is still beautiful. I sat in a cafe, ordered coffee and a cookie and drew. The waiter told me that they say "cappucio" in Lucca too (as opposed to cappucino) that it isn't a Milanese thing. Still, I might stick to espresso in Rome till I figure it out.
lonely bench in Lucca

 
view from the wall surrounding Lucca