Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Baba in Napoli

Sunday I spent a relaxing morning in Naples, eating rum-soaked cake called babà and drinking sweet sweet coffee. I have been a littlr bolder about drawing strangers, so I may have over-stayed my welcome at this cafe. And I think these men notice my staring and drawing. The cafe is located in the Galleria Umberto, a hundred year old mall with a iron and glass rome ceiling, huge arches that lead out to the crazy streets and giant angels in in the dome. Also in the floor were these thick glass sections covering more iron work.

I loved Naples. I did venture out to Pompei and to a little local beach. The local train system here is great but I splurged for a ferry ride from Sorrento to Naples, and was welcomed into the harbor by this lighthouse and statue. I was talking with a french man who spoke no english but some italian and spanish. We cut and paste romantic languages together to communicate a little about ourselves. My grammar is terrible but I am practicing listening and learning to speak slowly to be understood.